West Bend Transit’s history began in 1911 when two cousins in the coal industry, Henry P. and Henry E. Schloemer, became business partners and formed West Bend Drayage Company. With three teams of horses they began moving goods for local Companies in the area. By 1916 the Federal Government had begun building new roads and the Standard Oil Company introduced its first “Gas Station”. This is also the year that West Bend Drayage bought their first truck. With trucks instead of teams of horses, West Bend Drayage was able to make a daily trip from West Bend WI to Milwaukee WI. It took all day to make the trip and was only done during the summer months. Many of these trips were made to service the meat packing plants in Milwaukee. When the state built the first highway between West Bend and Milwaukee, West Bend Drayage was able to make the trip year round. In 1921 West Bend Drayage became West Bend Transit & Service Company.
During the early years West Bend Transit has provided its community with the delivery of coal for heating, milk for its residents, public school bus service for its children, and freight transportation for its local industry. As one of the oldest transportation companies in the country, we are proud to have been instrumental in shaping the regulation and organizations that formed our industry.
Today, still owned and operated by the Schloemer family, now in its fourth generation, West Bend Transit has grown to provide its clients with customized logistics solutions, while focusing future growth on dedicated truckload and private fleet services.
"Our high level approach provides a tailored solution aimed at reducing cost and improving efficiency for our clients. This approach builds long term partnerships and provides a value not typically offered by transportation providers. Our staff, from management down, understands that we do not succeed unless our customer succeeds." ~ Schloemer, President